Wednesday 17 July 2013

Strawberry Picking!

Some of my best childhood memories are going strawberry picking with my late dad and my Grandad. In the hot sunshine, cramming my mouth with sweet jammy strawberries until I had a belly ache and my dad would tell me to put some in the punnet box or I would get told off by the farmer who weighed them in the shop! Also broad beans are one of my favourite summer legumes. As you can see from the old photo I have put up at the end of this post, my mum got me involved with food from an early age. I am the little blond child in the photo, helping my sister to harvest the shiny beans from their downy pods.
So today my sister said she had found a lovely little vegetable 'pick your own' farm not to far from the centre of Norwich and I jumped at the chance to go with her! We took my niece and nephew too, passing on the strawberry picking tradition and memories. Showing my 3 year old nephew where fruit and veg comes from, seeing his amazement at finding the biggest strawberries and watching the sticky juice dribble down his chin as he tried them. It was such a lovely day! 
If you would like to go pick your own, we went to White House Farm . It currently has strawberries, cherries, potatoes, and broad beans ready to pick and a heavily stocked farm shop with lemons, sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes and apples. 













No comments:

Post a Comment